Kikuyu Frequently Asked Questions
Key roles and Ruracio process explained
- Village elders(athuri)
- How is bride price valued?
- What does dowry constitute of?
- How marriage Ceremony occurs?
Who is a village elder?
- People who are valued in wisdom and hold positions of responsibility
Role of Villager elders?
- Organize and facilitates dowry payment process and the wedding
Qualities of athuri
- Pure in heart
- A good role model
- One who has endured hardship
Who makes a reputable village elders?
- They should be of the same age group as the father of groom/bride
- Be member of Kiama of community
- He should have married and had children
Who is a muthamaki?
- He is a go between and the spokesman for the grooms family
What is matchmakes role?
- He is responsible for solving any problems or easing tension during bride negotiations
Who can take the role of muthamaki?
- It can be the groom’s uncles
- Can be from immediate or extended family
- A respected member of the community
- Male friend
Qualities of muthamaki
- Good temperament
- Good communication skills
- Mature and dependable
How is bride price valued?
- Things have changed such that it is determined by several of these factors:
- How much education the girl has received
- If she has a career
- Social Class
What does dowry constitute of?
Athuri(items for men)
- Gioma(fattened ram)
- Thenge(he goat)
- Mburi cia mirongo(goats-these are counted in tens)
- Njohi ya uuki(beer made from honey)
- Itangi ria mai(water tank)
Athuri(items for women)
- Mukwa(new rope)
- Nguo cia atumia(women wear)
- Njohi cia atumia(beer for women-now soda)
- Ushuru wa mukio(fermented porridge)
How does the marriage ceremony occur?
- The whole community usually gets involved
- Women team up and organize the menu and they contribute the food.
- Young men and women team up and raise funds for thee wedding.
- Young men arrange for transportation and refreshments.
- The girl’s family is usually responsible for girl’s dress and the young children who will be in the wedding party.